West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 am

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:i keep hearing we are going to take Oscar Allen with pick 13.

More on that.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-dra ... fb21ed6bf1

...Oscar Allen, a talented and versatile big-bodied utility at 191cm, looms as a draft gem for any AFL recruiting team — particularly the team from the West Coast Eagles.

We already have forwards of his size. We need taller.

The only reason I can see them taking him is if they are confident all the players we are looking for are in the 2nd round.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Hamburger on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:i keep hearing we are going to take Oscar Allen with pick 13.

More on that.

...Oscar Allen, a talented and versatile big-bodied utility at 191cm, looms as a draft gem for any AFL recruiting team — particularly the team from the West Coast Eagles.

The only reason I can see them taking him is if they are confident all the players we are looking for are in the 2nd round.

Agree with the comments that he is too small to be a key forward replacement for someone like Kennedy.....BUT...he has apparently played pretty well all over the ground according to the article. Perhaps the Eagles do see him as a prospective big bodied mid? He can obviously take a good mark and kick straight. Does he have endurance and speed?
WA boy, follows the eagles, both positives.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

More on that.

I am always hesitant when a player is labelled as a "big bodied utility". Usually refers to a short key forward who is mobile or a medium forward. He did have some good games in the midfield though. It's a risk, a big one because he will either become a great midfielder who clubs will regret not taking or he will fall into that basket of players who didn't fit as a forward or a midfielder (same basket Lamb was stuck in). Its probably the sort of risk we will and sort of need to take if we are to rocket back up and replenish our midfield.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 am

Mitch Grigg is a mature age player, is he worth a shot? Delisted by the Crows.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 am

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
More on that.

I am always hesitant when a player is labelled as a "big bodied utility". Usually refers to a short key forward who is mobile or a medium forward. He did have some good games in the midfield though. It's a risk, a big one because he will either become a great midfielder who clubs will regret not taking or he will fall into that basket of players who didn't fit as a forward or a midfielder (same basket Lamb was stuck in). Its probably the sort of risk we will and sort of need to take if we are to rocket back up and replenish our midfield.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-11-03/tomorrows-heroes-oscar-allen

I actually like the look of him - very mobile for a big bloke.

I wish this draft day would just hurry up.... After the draft we will know if the Eagles are (a) having a bit of a rebuild or (b) gambling on mature age blokes again for another tilt at it.

I hope its (a), but I just want to know either way
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:11 am

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl-dr ... ab05d8f1d9

He was the oldest player invited to this year’s national draft combine and with Carlton and West Coast believed to be among the group of clubs most interested, Kelly could be snapped up as early as the second round in this month’s national draft.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby qrmewati on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 am

Fat Side wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl-draft-south-fremantle-star-tim-kelly-ripe-for-the-picking/news-story/3bf06d5d200a4604d8401cab05d8f1d9

He was the oldest player invited to this year’s national draft combine and with Carlton and West Coast believed to be among the group of clubs most interested, Kelly could be snapped up as early as the second round in this month’s national draft.

I hope we draft both kelly and Liam Ryan.
qrmewati
Rookie

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:17 am

With our abundance of picks in the top 40....it seems highly likely Kelly is being considered by WCE....we need a talent boost in the middle aged brackets as the players we drafted in 11-12 were dismal.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mead on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:With our abundance of picks in the top 40....it seems highly likely Kelly is being considered by WCE....we need a talent boost in the middle aged brackets as the players we drafted in 11-12 were dismal.

Murray Newman, Fraser McInnes, Ashton Hams, Brant Colledge, Adam Carter, Mark Hutchings, Brad Dick

And we traded pick #17 for Wellingham.

Hoo boy.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:11 am

Dick was a worthwhile gamble (not as bad as JON)..i cant recall if we picked him up as a rookie, or this was well before the rules were relaxed and got him in the PSD.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 am

Mead wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:With our abundance of picks in the top 40....it seems highly likely Kelly is being considered by WCE....we need a talent boost in the middle aged brackets as the players we drafted in 11-12 were dismal.

Murray Newman, Fraser McInnes, Ashton Hams, Brant Colledge, Adam Carter, Mark Hutchings, Brad Dick

Hoo boy.

To be fair, most of these guys (Newman aside) were either late picks or rookie elevations. Hutchings is still a useful squad member, which is a good result at pick 60. Colledge and Carter were 43 and 59 respectively, so you hope to get a useful player, but you know it's hit and miss. Hams was a rookie elevation, and if he hadn't been a footy dwarf might have been able to do a bit more.

McInnes and Newman are the two most disappointing there - but Newman was sadly a nutcase (there's a reason he ended up in the big house), and McInnes never lived up to his potential, though he's still holding on to his spot in the extended list. That said, in that year we traded out pick 49 for Josh Hill (107 games), which I think we'd describe as a win in the end.

Wellingham? Well he was a key to our drive to the 2015 GF - had we won that, he'd have been a stroke of genius, and it wasn't him alone that lost it. He came with a good history, and at his best would have been worth pick 18. Unfortunately we got about 1.5 seasons, the rest of the time he was injured, and eventually just seemed to give up on it. Also, looking at who was taken between that pick and our next pick at 43 - well there's not exactly a massive pile of talent - Wellingham's 79 games for the Eagles is comparable to the best results of the players that were drafted (though to be fair, Wellingham was an established player).

In that year we also picked up Cripps (103 games), as well as Sinkers in the rookie draft.

Of course, we can look at the next year: we drafted in Sheed and Barrass (and Karpany if he makes it), elevated McGovern and traded in Elliot Yeo. As well as an interesting, if eventually only partially successful FA pick up of Xavier Ellis.

I'm not saying we did great in these years, but I'm saying it wasn't all the end of the world - there are some players in there that I'm pretty happy with us getting - and none of Cripps, Welly or Hill were *bad* pickups given what else seems to have been going. I think Cripps needs to hit his straps this year if he's not to be a middle of the road nowhere player (a bit like Masten really). Hill and Welly are gone, but they did play a part in 2015 that sadly we never followed up on.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:00 am

I think cripps has hit his ceiling.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:I think cripps has hit his ceiling.

Then he's a good role player in a team.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:01 am

Mr Q wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:I think cripps has hit his ceiling.

Then he's a good role player in a team.

Like most of the team he was way down on his normal output.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Mead wrote:

Hoo boy.

I blame Trinity for the 2011 stuff up. Newman, McInnes and Wellingham are all old boys? Something went horribly wrong with our scouting..
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading