9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:No thank you. I'd rather we keep our picks. Stringer is surplus to our needs, we don't need another forward. If we picked him up with a second rounder then sure, but that just aint gonna happen. With his baggage and our depth in our forward line and our desperate need in the midfield its just a completely bad fit.

I find it hard to believe a player like Stringer would be surplus to any teams needs. Pretty sure he can play significant stints in the middle as well and have a real impact, and I thought at his age this would probably likely occur even more; re Nick Riewoldt. Not that I am a study of his so maybe I'm wrong. As for not wanting to leave Victoria; maybe given the bad taste this trade period must be leaving in his mouth maybe he might reconsider this. Not a player I would have expected the club to chase, but I would be open to him falling in our lap.

Anyway like I said it was just a thought, but I will be unhappy with him ending up at the scum for next to nothing.

I'd want us to stay clear, lazy player with gambling issues.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm

I really hope no one picks up Liam Ryan, I'd love to see him in Eagles colours.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:17 pm

DALBY wrote:I really hope no one picks up Liam Ryan, I'd love to see him in Eagles colours.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-15/h ... wa-combine
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:58 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:No thank you. I'd rather we keep our picks. Stringer is surplus to our needs, we don't need another forward. If we picked him up with a second rounder then sure, but that just aint gonna happen. With his baggage and our depth in our forward line and our desperate need in the midfield its just a completely bad fit.

I find it hard to believe a player like Stringer would be surplus to any teams needs. Pretty sure he can play significant stints in the middle as well and have a real impact, and I thought at his age this would probably likely occur even more; re Nick Riewoldt. Not that I am a study of his so maybe I'm wrong. As for not wanting to leave Victoria; maybe given the bad taste this trade period must be leaving in his mouth maybe he might reconsider this. Not a player I would have expected the club to chase, but I would be open to him falling in our lap.

Anyway like I said it was just a thought, but I will be unhappy with him ending up at the scum for next to nothing.

I'd want us to stay clear, lazy player with gambling issues.

Stringer is separated from his wife and they have two very young children. He will not leave Victoria
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby moogadah on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

Give up pick 13 for 25 & 30?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trades-2017-west-coasts-firstround-pick-could-be-the-jake-stringer-circuitbreaker/news-story/03a3a0b599bbd27996662463bd15c8b4

Intuitively this feels like a bad idea to me - we are potentially missing out on a gun. Acknowledge the draft is always a bit of a lottery, but is the depth of the draft such that we are likely to pick up a decent mid at 30, or do West Coast not rate who they think might go in the first 13?
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
moogadah
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 am

moogadah wrote:Give up pick 13 for 25 & 30?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trades-2017-west-coasts-firstround-pick-could-be-the-jake-stringer-circuitbreaker/news-story/03a3a0b599bbd27996662463bd15c8b4

Intuitively this feels like a bad idea to me - we are potentially missing out on a gun. Acknowledge the draft is always a bit of a lottery, but is the depth of the draft such that we are likely to pick up a decent mid at 30, or do West Coast not rate who they think might go in the first 13?

Sounds ridiculous to me too. Please don't do it.
Tom "Chops" Lamb
Guernsey 10, still only 20 years old, 193cm, "The best utility money can buy"
Drafted 32 in 2014.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 am

DALBY wrote:

Yep terrible move.

Want to go up the order not down. I can see what we are doing, instead of just one shot at a rated player we have a couple of shots.

Do we expect the player we want to slide and will be there at 25? Maybe our focus is on Petruccelle who should be there around then?
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 am

Pinion King wrote:
DALBY wrote:

Yep terrible move.

Want to go up the order not down. I can see what we are doing, instead of just one shot at a rated player we have a couple of shots.

Do we expect the player we want to slide and will be there at 25? Maybe our focus is on Petruccelle who should be there around then?

It would be final proof that the idiot's are in charge of our list management and drafting. Though maybe it could get even worse if we then traded pick 25 or 30 to Port for Ah Chee.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 am

Was just looking at the WA state combine results.

Starcevich matched Petruccelle in the 20m sprint and had a higher standing verticle leap than what was recorded at the main combine.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am

Fat Side wrote:Stringer is separated from his wife and they have two very young children. He will not leave Victoria

Yep, fair enough.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am

Pinion King wrote:Was just looking at the WA state combine results.

Starcevich matched Petruccelle in the 20m sprint and had a higher standing verticle leap than what was recorded at the main combine.

Worth a read
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... er-contest

Player Focus
What first jumps out at you with Starcevich is his power in the contest. He wins the ball at the goal face but also delivers a powerful "don't argue" and will barge through tackles with force and if unable to break the tackle, handball to a target without going to ground.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Was just looking at the WA state combine results.

Worth a read
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... er-contest

Player Focus
What first jumps out at you with Starcevich is his power in the contest. He wins the ball at the goal face but also delivers a powerful "don't argue" and will barge through tackles with force and if unable to break the tackle, handball to a target without going to ground.

Interesting. Martin/Judd like.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes there is some good talent to be found in the 2nd round and possibly the 3rd. A lot would have to go right for this to be a win for us. Unfortunately I don't think our recruiting staff have the talent to make it work.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Daddyswing on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Its even worse than that!

Apparently we're prepared to throw in our 2018 1st for the Bulldogs picks 9 and 28 from this year!!

Absolute fucking madness! If this gets done then Rawlings should be sacked!!!
Say what you will about America, but 13 bucks still buys you a hell of a lot of mice!
Daddyswing
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 pm

There must be something in this draft that we can't see. There are obviously a lot of 2nd round players WCE rate. Also, I guess we get a year's development into players and start moving forward not hanging back waiting.

We must be also comfortable about the depth of next years draft if we are willing to give up our first rounder. We have never been this aggressive with pick trading.

Don't mind pick 9 though.

9, 25, 28, 30, 32. That is not a bad line up.

Really curious to see how this plays out. They said they want to regenerate our list through the draft.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading