West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Mr Q wrote:One of the problems with drafting a young WAFL ruck is what to do with them. We went down exactly this path with Sinkers, and when it turned out that he was actually not a bad player, he wanted - understandably - to get game time and was traded out.

Ultimately, if they're good enough to play, they'll want to, and while this year we could have found a place, typically we won't. If they're not, then we might as well keep going down the Vardy path.

Yep, we even recruited Giles as back up but we haven't even being playing him. Both Natanui & Lycett are injury prone players so the chances of them both being injured or returning from injury at the same time is pretty high.

This year we have tried the petrie/vardy combination, but i dont think it worked as well as people think. They are both Fwd/Rucks not really capable of holding their own purely as the 1sr ruck (they've done the best they can as our only option). Vardy doesn't do enough around the ground (posessions, tackles, impact) or win enough hit outs. Petrie is a better stop gap solution because he actually is a good link player around the ground and lays a few tackles.

The last 2 games we have gone with 1x Ruck and 1x makeshift ruck - i think this is the best solution with what we have. The petrie/vardy combination probably only adds 10% improvement to the team if that.

Yep. Freo have Sandilands, Griifin and Clarke. Sean Darcy is getting a game and making the most of it. Supporters are looking at the future develop. Bulldogs have Roughead and Campbell, but use an early draft pick to select English. Sydney have Naismith, Sinkers and Tippett, but select Darcy Cameron. Other clubs are doing it. After Naitanui and Lycett we have nothing but Giles who is not versatile and has a crook knee.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:48 pm

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/6827

DOB: 14th July 1998
Height: 201
Weight: 85

Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm

^ he looks impressive from those highlights.

Good pace for a tall lanky fella
Raking handball
looks like he knows where the goals are

where do you think he may land, would he last until our 3rd or 4th rounder?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:13 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:^ he looks impressive from those highlights.

Good pace for a tall lanky fella
Raking handball
looks like he knows where the goals are

where do you think he may land, would he last until our 3rd or 4th rounder?

4th round to rookie list would be about right. Not a bad backup ruck option either and loves to lay a tackle.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Streaker wrote:4th round to rookie list would be about right. Not a bad backup ruck option either and loves to lay a tackle.

I saw that in the stats sheet, his tackle count puts many on our AFL list to shame.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 am

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/ ... ide-august

Some interesting looking players there.

Davies-Uniacke looks like someone we need.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 am

Pinion King wrote:http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-08-18/draft-form-guide-august

Yeah, I already highlighted Coffield and Constable on the 1st page of this thread but would also love Noah Balta (how could you not with a name like that). I think we need outside mids with a bigger body and Coffield really fits well for that category. Really like to see us trade into another pick in the second round.

Was a story in todays West about another young player from Swan Districts. Might be the smokey of the year or all hype and no substance but from what I've heard there'll be quite a bit of interest shown.

http://www.spiritradio.com.au/news/news ... 8563664z/#
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:47 am

Streaker wrote:
Pinion King wrote:http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-08-18/draft-form-guide-august

Yeah, I already highlighted Coffield and Constable on the 1st page of this thread but would also love Noah Balta (how could you not with a name like that). I think we need outside mids with a bigger body and Coffield really fits well for that category. Really like to see us trade into another pick in the second round.

There are a lot of inside mids on that list, no real run and carry pacey outside players.

Coffield seems almost like Yeo.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 am

Pinion King wrote:
Streaker wrote:

There are a lot of inside mids on that list, no real run and carry pacey outside players.

Coffield seems almost like Yeo.

2nd round should have more outside mids. Davies-Uniacke will be gone a long time before our 1st pick.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ti ... 94228d10bc

ESSENDON legend Tim Watson says AFL clubs may consider handing Chris Yarran an AFL lifeline if he can prove he’s over his drug addiction and committed to footy.

At only 26, Watson suggested the former Carlton and Richmond player had plenty to offer and that an AFL club may be tempted to rookie list Yarran as a result.“Yarran could still build a football career if that’s a world he wants to re-enter,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast.

“He was a prodigious talent, (although) the margin for error for him now is pretty slim. “I’m prepared to say though, his name will come up in discussions at clubs today.”

Would you do it?

Good friend of Nic Nat and with Nic Nats religous beliefs he might stay on the straight and narrow.

A 1 year rookie contract perhaps?
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Club wont risk it. They are too protective of their image. If he relapses it wont look good for us.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Streaker wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/tim-watson-says-afl-clubs-may-be-tempted-to-take-a-punt-on-chris-yarran/news-story/2c3683ef54ec6f964de34c94228d10bc

ESSENDON legend Tim Watson says AFL clubs may consider handing Chris Yarran an AFL lifeline if he can prove he’s over his drug addiction and committed to footy.

At only 26, Watson suggested the former Carlton and Richmond player had plenty to offer and that an AFL club may be tempted to rookie list Yarran as a result.“Yarran could still build a football career if that’s a world he wants to re-enter,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast.

“He was a prodigious talent, (although) the margin for error for him now is pretty slim. “I’m prepared to say though, his name will come up in discussions at clubs today.”

Would you do it?

Good friend of Nic Nat and with Nic Nats religous beliefs he might stay on the straight and narrow.

A 1 year rookie contract perhaps?
Apparently still on Richmond's list until end of 2018. Signed a 3 year at end of 2015.

Even got a mention by Damien Barrett... 'If you look at the official Richmond list ... then ... Chris Yarran's name is still on it.'
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 am

I think if Yarran was to play again it would have to be via a WA club. Naitanui is a close friend at WCE and Walters is another close mate at Freo.

Due diligence and a rookie spot would have to be worth the risk. There is nothing to lose provided he is committed. I don't know how far down the track he is with rehab, but establishing that would form part of any due diligence.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby sydney eagle on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 am

Whaty about an inside mid, a tackling machine to replace Priddis and Mitchell ? (although someone faster than either of them would be what we want).
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading