Advanced  

Latest Result

Semi Final Sydney Showgrounds
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 • 17:25 WST
West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 1 Perth Stadium
Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus



2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Hamburger on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Pinion King wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Few movers and shakers. Clark has climbed into the 10, Bonar into the 20, Petruccelle out of the 25.

Bailey looks an interesting prospect. From NT so no "go home". Insider who can break away.


I'm no expert on the drafts...but it is intriguing that so many of the top players available have been battling injuries of one kind or another. 5 of the top 7 in this current ranking.
Is that normal for a field of draft hopefuls?
I know we selected Judd even though he had issues with his shoulder/s and that turned out fine, but it requires a leap of faith in my view for any club to pick an 18 year old in the first round who is coming off knee or shoulder surgery.

I suspect that the actual draft order might look quite different from this ranking.
Hamburger
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:17 pm
Location: Bassendean sur le Mer

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Hamburger wrote:
Pinion King wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Few movers and shakers. Clark has climbed into the 10, Bonar into the 20, Petruccelle out of the 25.

Bailey looks an interesting prospect. From NT so no "go home". Insider who can break away.


I'm no expert on the drafts...but it is intriguing that so many of the top players available have been battling injuries of one kind or another. 5 of the top 7 in this current ranking.
Is that normal for a field of draft hopefuls?
I know we selected Judd even though he had issues with his shoulder/s and that turned out fine, but it requires a leap of faith in my view for any club to pick an 18 year old in the first round who is coming off knee or shoulder surgery.

I suspect that the actual draft order might look quite different from this ranking.

The game is getting tougher even at junior level. The young bodies are getting pushed further and harder. Few have the conditioning and fitness that are able to help prevent injuries until they start with an AFL team on an AFL program.

We took Venables even though he had a foot injury at the time.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:29 am

Pinion King wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Few movers and shakers. Clark has climbed into the 10, Bonar into the 20, Petruccelle out of the 25.

Bailey looks an interesting prospect. From NT so no "go home". Insider who can break away.


The list is not in any particular order.

AFL.com.au has ranked the best 25 players in the draft pool, not taking into account where they might actually get drafted or where bids may come for father-son or academy prospects. It is not a mock draft.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 am

Pinion King wrote:
Hamburger wrote:
Pinion King wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Few movers and shakers. Clark has climbed into the 10, Bonar into the 20, Petruccelle out of the 25.

Bailey looks an interesting prospect. From NT so no "go home". Insider who can break away.


I'm no expert on the drafts...but it is intriguing that so many of the top players available have been battling injuries of one kind or another. 5 of the top 7 in this current ranking.
Is that normal for a field of draft hopefuls?
I know we selected Judd even though he had issues with his shoulder/s and that turned out fine, but it requires a leap of faith in my view for any club to pick an 18 year old in the first round who is coming off knee or shoulder surgery.

I suspect that the actual draft order might look quite different from this ranking.

The game is getting tougher even at junior level. The young bodies are getting pushed further and harder. Few have the conditioning and fitness that are able to help prevent injuries until they start with an AFL team on an AFL program.

We took Venables even though he had a foot injury at the time.


Whilst a foot injury is not ideal and can still lead to more issues down the road, a knee injury or a shoulder injury is generally a much bigger red flag, especially serious ones.

But yes the fitness and conditioning does appear to be lacking at lower levels, perhaps that is where AFL needs to be directing more of their money. Investing in their future players health rather than filling their own pockets or the top tier players.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 am

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Few movers and shakers. Clark has climbed into the 10, Bonar into the 20, Petruccelle out of the 25.

Bailey looks an interesting prospect. From NT so no "go home". Insider who can break away.


The list is not in any particular order.

AFL.com.au has ranked the best 25 players in the draft pool, not taking into account where they might actually get drafted or where bids may come for father-son or academy prospects. It is not a mock draft.

Yep, it's a form guide. Number 1 is the best rated player based on their season and combine. 10 is the 10th best player rated on their season or combine.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 am

Interesting:
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/2 ... two-rounds
13 West Coast - Hunter Clark
Height, Weight: 186cm, 79kg
Summary Profile: Well-rounded midfielder who is clean on both sides of the body. Just as good inside the contest as he is on the outside.

21 West Coast - Lachlan Fogarty
Height, Weight: 179cm, 73kg
Summary Profile: Hard-nosed midfielder who loves to tackle and possesses clean skills. Western's best player in each of his last three games, where he amassed 36 tackles collectively.

26 West Coast - Gryan Miers
Height, Weight: 177cm, 73kg
Summary Profile: Energetic forward with smarts who always looks involved. Kicked seven goals in the TAC Cup Grand Final.

32 West Coast - Joel Garner
Height, Weight: 183cm, 81kg
Summary Profile: Skilled utility who has generated a fair bit of hype. Not a big accumulator but uses the ball neatly.

37 West Coast - Zac Bailey
Height, Weight: 180cm, 68kg
Summary Profile: Speedy midfielder who gets to the right spots at stoppages. Stood out during Under- 18 Championships for Allies.


A couple to consider:
Lochie O'Brien
Height, Weight: 184cm, 75kg
Summary Profile: Arguably the best kick in the draft and this year's most damaging outside player. Line-breaker who if not for niggles that limited his output, may have been a top five draft selection.

Matthew Ling
Height, Weight: 182cm, 74kg
Summary Profile: Arguably the fastest line breaker in the draft. Ball use on left is precise and can open up games.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby sydney eagle on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:03 am

I wouldn't mind that draft at all "Pinion King". No tall players in the mix I notice, but I could see us going for a tall forward in the later rounds to groom as Kennedy's replacement, unless we think that that young guy Allen that we picked up last year can do that job.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: sydney australia

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 am

I'm not so sure about Hunter Clarke.

We've simply taken too many risks in the past by drafting half back flankers with high picks, who look like they might be able to play in the midfield but have been flying under the radar because of injury or opportunity or a late developer etc.

The Querry
The 18-year-old showed he can play in the midfield at under-18 level, but there still remains some doubt for clubs on whether he can do that in the AFL, particularly as he didn't get a chance to do it in the under-18 carnival. He doesn't have a huge tank and hasn't recorded elite levels in the beep test, and although he's relatively smooth, he doesn't have that breakaway pace that other players possess.


At this stage I will be hoping we pick up Brandon Starcevich. Whatever pick we can get him for. Not based on much other than what I've read and I really liked his uncle as a player. I did hear on the radio a couple of weeks ago that Sumich really rated him; good enough for me.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... er-contest
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:I'm not so sure about Hunter Clarke.

We've simply taken too many risks in the past by drafting half back flankers with high picks, who look like they might be able to play in the midfield but have been flying under the radar because of injury or opportunity or a late developer etc.

The Querry
The 18-year-old showed he can play in the midfield at under-18 level, but there still remains some doubt for clubs on whether he can do that in the AFL, particularly as he didn't get a chance to do it in the under-18 carnival. He doesn't have a huge tank and hasn't recorded elite levels in the beep test, and although he's relatively smooth, he doesn't have that breakaway pace that other players possess.


At this stage I will be hoping we pick up Brandon Starcevich. Whatever pick we can get him for. Not based on much other than what I've read and I really liked his uncle as a player. I did hear on the radio a couple of weeks ago that Sumich really rated him; good enough for me.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... er-contest

Starcevich will be there in the second round. I can see us being interested in him, especially since he is a WA boy.

Hunter Clark is a solid first pick. For a bit more risk and reward Bonar would be a good pick. To fill our need for speed and outside run Ling and O'Brien good options.

Ling might be there for our first pick in the 2nd round, but if we want him, I wouldn't take chances.

I saw some footage of Clark recently, I hope he was just having a bad game because his disposal was terrible. He also shanked 2 set shots on goal.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 am

Aiden Bonar is written up like he could be the new messiah, and he might be, you have to like what you read. He might also be worth a first rounder; apart from those knee reconstructions. Anthony Morabito was such a very talented player but who was to suspect his knees might be dodgy? Bonar on the other hand you can really suspect, so for my mind I'd say; not in the first round. I also read - below - that he has played mostly as a third tall so may not be the natural midfielder we might hope for.

Bonar has presence about him around the ground, mostly playing up forward as a third tall – but has pushed into the midfield for longer periods with each game he plays.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/aiden-bonar/

Reads a lot like Lamb in the draft a few years back. Could be anything.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:Aiden Bonar is written up like he could be the new messiah, and he might be, you have to like what you read. He might also be worth a first rounder; apart from those knee reconstructions. Anthony Morabito was such a very talented player but who was to suspect his knees might be dodgy? Bonar on the other hand you can really suspect, so for my mind I'd say; not in the first round. I also read - below - that he has played mostly as a third tall so may not be the natural midfielder we might hope for.

Bonar has presence about him around the ground, mostly playing up forward as a third tall – but has pushed into the midfield for longer periods with each game he plays.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/aiden-bonar/

Reads a lot like Lamb in the draft a few years back. Could be anything.

The 2nd knee was because the first one didn't work.

You're right, he could become anything. The risk is his knee, the reward if developed right and treated as a mid from day dot, he could be something special.

If not for the knee reco they think he would be a top 5 pick.

Wish this draft would hurry up and get here.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fat Side on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 pm

I watched a youtube video of Clark and he must be better than what I saw. He couldn't hit a target by foot and often just bombed it forward. Matthew Ling on the other hand looked very good. Pacy with good skills and hard at it. Starcevich also looked good. Another hard at it player, but not the class of Ling. Fogarty looks like an excellent clearance player who is smart and accurate in front of goal. Can run from a pack but doesn't appear to have exceptional pace. Ling looks the pick of that bunch
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Streaker on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:I'm not so sure about Hunter Clarke.

We've simply taken too many risks in the past by drafting half back flankers with high picks, who look like they might be able to play in the midfield but have been flying under the radar because of injury or opportunity or a late developer etc.

The Querry
The 18-year-old showed he can play in the midfield at under-18 level, but there still remains some doubt for clubs on whether he can do that in the AFL, particularly as he didn't get a chance to do it in the under-18 carnival. He doesn't have a huge tank and hasn't recorded elite levels in the beep test, and although he's relatively smooth, he doesn't have that breakaway pace that other players possess.


At this stage I will be hoping we pick up Brandon Starcevich. Whatever pick we can get him for. Not based on much other than what I've read and I really liked his uncle as a player. I did hear on the radio a couple of weeks ago that Sumich really rated him; good enough for me.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... er-contest

Starcevich will be there in the second round. I can see us being interested in him, especially since he is a WA boy.

Hunter Clark is a solid first pick. For a bit more risk and reward Bonar would be a good pick. To fill our need for speed and outside run Ling and O'Brien good options.

Ling might be there for our first pick in the 2nd round, but if we want him, I wouldn't take chances.

I saw some footage of Clark recently, I hope he was just having a bad game because his disposal was terrible. He also shanked 2 set shots on goal.
I also like Petrucelle, Worpel and Spargo. I don't think Kelly and Ryan are genuine 2nd round picks and would rather we passed on them early with the hopes of picking them up in the rookie list. I don't agree with those having them go high in the draft.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 am

i keep hearing we are going to take Oscar Allen with pick 13.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Fat Side on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:i keep hearing we are going to take Oscar Allen with pick 13.


More on that.

www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2017 ... fb21ed6bf1

...Oscar Allen, a talented and versatile big-bodied utility at 191cm, looms as a draft gem for any AFL recruiting team — particularly the team from the West Coast Eagles.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
User avatar
Fat Side
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron