West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby the voice of reason on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Strong talk is that Ah Chee from Port Adelaide is a trade target of West Coast.
the voice of reason
Regular

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:21 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Tunbridge really was injury cruelled. Could have been a solid contributor with a decent career though highly unlikely to have been a star. Need those sort of solid, reliable guys on the list, but for him it wasn't to be. Good luck to him with whatever he does.

With Wellingham, Hill and Lamb...
I really think Lamb could thrive with opportunity and the right environment. Would like to see him given a run as the third wing option. Gaff gets one side, Jetta plays wing/run off the back of the square, Lamb plays traditional wing.
Wellingham still has a bit to offer but will only be more and more a fringe player.
I can see Hill struggling to get close to a game. Le Cras has another year, Cripps is younger and ahead of him, Karpany should play a lot more in 2018, Rioli if fit should play, Fasolo may come in for our usual trade effort of two first round picks and a player and Partington will spend time between forward and mid. Unless we get another shit injury run he could slip to 4th small forward option at East Perth.

Biggest issue for Lamb was he came to the club as an inbetween player. A player who had potential at both Tall forward and as a midfielder. Over his first off-season and pre-season it appeared he spent it all in the gym and was pushed into the forward basket which as we all know is one of if not our strongest and one of our deepest positions, so he has ended up at the end of the queue there and in the process probably also lost a lot of the aerobic ability to play his other role he looked good at which was running thru the middle. Maybe with an off-season focused around running he could make a dash at the midfield queue again, but also I think that previous step of moving into the forward line has dented his confidence, both by not being selected and then also being turned away by other clubs as a possible trade target. Will be interesting to see what comes of him.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am

Disappointed so far in the trade period 'gossip' I'm hearing:

Wilson & Matera both want to come home and we aren't even interested?

Blake Acres has re-signed with St Kilda - was hoping we might snag him.

2 other GWS players want out but only interested in Vic teams

The only player I'm hearing we're interested in is Fasolo... FASOLO.... if ever there was a more beige option for a small forward, its Fasolo. Plus he's 25 so not exactly a long term option.
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 am

I heard that Fasolo is happy to stay with Pies. He is a contracted player, so the Pies will want a high price. Most likely our 1st rounder. Knowing us, we will give it to them.

There hasn't been so much of a whisper from us so far.

Unless there is a surprise, I can't really see anyone on the market, besides Matera, that would be worth it.

I reckon trade draft picks to get ourselves higher in the draft, maybe try and get higher in next years as well.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:51 am

It's a mystery why we don't seem to be a destination club for those coming back to WA especially the indigenous guys.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

Streaker wrote:It's a mystery why we don't seem to be a destination club for those coming back to WA especially the indigenous guys.

Yep. We couldn't entice Wellingham, Hill or Jetta. Hopeless
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 am

CouchPotato wrote:Disappointed so far in the trade period 'gossip' I'm hearing:

Wilson & Matera both want to come home and we aren't even interested?

Blake Acres has re-signed with St Kilda - was hoping we might snag him.

2 other GWS players want out but only interested in Vic teams

The only player I'm hearing we're interested in is Fasolo... FASOLO.... if ever there was a more beige option for a small forward, its Fasolo. Plus he's 25 so not exactly a long term option.

At 25 Fasolo should be entering the form years of his career. His body should be right and we should get the best from him. If he was 21 we would still have to develop him. Having said that, I think he is worth a third rounder. That's it.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 am

Fat Side wrote:
Streaker wrote:It's a mystery why we don't seem to be a destination club for those coming back to WA especially the indigenous guys.

And we didn't pay overs for them. Bargains all three.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:46 am

Streaker wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

I wouldn't say we paid overs for Hill. Pick 49. Sure it was technically a late second round pick but in a standard draft it is about mid 3rd round. Then looking at th players we "missed out on" after pick 49, there is only really Lachy Neale after our pick that is worth looking at (I'd take Neale in a heartbeat in hindsight, but at 58 there was clearly issues that a lot of teams didn't want to risk.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:59 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:I wouldn't say we paid overs for Hill. Pick 49. Sure it was technically a late second round pick but in a standard draft it is about mid 3rd round. Then looking at th players we "missed out on" after pick 49, there is only really Lachy Neale after our pick that is worth looking at (I'd take Neale in a heartbeat in hindsight, but at 58 there was clearly issues that a lot of teams didn't want to risk.

Pretty sure Hill was close to being delisted by the Bulldogs when we took him. I'd say pick 49 was overs.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:12 pm

The last 2-3 years it has been strange that everyone wants the Muppets. The last trade we did was Jetta, but that was one of those ones where we had the only thing (ruckman) that Sydney needed and we were going to lose anyway.
Josh Hill was back in 2011 and was a good as dead at the dogs. At that time fringe at best and lost as a player. I think pick 49 was generous and was given only because we had no intention of using it. We were out of the draft by then.
Wellingham was also way back, 2012, and the Pies probably couldn't sign fast enough with what we offered.

According the afl.com.au the trend continues with Wilson and Matera. Wilson has officially asked for a trade to the Muppets and Matera has apparently stated a preference.

And yes, Fasolo for a 4th rounder, maybe a third and a swap of 4th rounders. Anything more and no thanks.

Ah Chee? Should we even be considering fringe players from other clubs around our ladder position that will at best be fringe players for us?
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Streaker wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:I wouldn't say we paid overs for Hill. Pick 49. Sure it was technically a late second round pick but in a standard draft it is about mid 3rd round. Then looking at th players we "missed out on" after pick 49, there is only really Lachy Neale after our pick that is worth looking at (I'd take Neale in a heartbeat in hindsight, but at 58 there was clearly issues that a lot of teams didn't want to risk.

Pretty sure Hill was close to being delisted by the Bulldogs when we took him. I'd say pick 49 was overs.
In the worst drafting effort ever we only used picks 23 (Murray Newman), pick 28 (Fraser McInnes) and pick 63 to rookie upgrade Ashton Hams, so pick 49 was surplus. The thinking may have been to give away something generous we were never going to use and get a bit of 'trading credit' in the bank.
And the 2011 rookie draft was just as bad. Only Tunbridge (10 games) made it onto the field.

Edit - out of that draft we have got the grand total of 66 games. Hams (39), Mcinnes (11), Tunbridge (10), Newman (6). Has there ever been a worse one? By any club?
Last edited by MrWoollie on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
The last 2-3 years it has been strange that everyone wants the Muppets.

According the afl.com.au the trend continues with Wilson and Matera. Wilson has officially asked for a trade to the Muppets and Matera has apparently stated a preference.

Someone else said it earlier. It is because they will get a game with the Muppets.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:05 am

Streaker wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

I think we only paid overs for wellingham.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 am

Streaker wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

Hill as a pick in the late 40s was good for a 100 game, 100+ goal player. Wellingham was a flop and Jetta cost us a former top 10 rookie selection.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading