West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 am

farmer joe wrote:
Streaker wrote:http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles/eric-mckenzie-set-for-another-year-with-the-eagles-20170913-gyh3an.html

Veteran West Coast defender Eric Mackenzie is set for reward in his brave recovery from career-threatening injury with a new contract for next season.

No mention of how much he will be on. Given the size of his last contract hopefully its about 30-40% of what it was.

I would hope nothing more than 20% over the bog standard median (not average) AFL players salary.

Does anyone know what the median salary would be?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:48 pm

DALBY wrote:
Streaker wrote:http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles/eric-mckenzie-set-for-another-year-with-the-eagles-20170913-gyh3an.html

Veteran West Coast defender Eric Mackenzie is set for reward in his brave recovery from career-threatening injury with a new contract for next season.

Good, he deserves it, just has to concentrate on his kicking skills over preseason.

Can all the team do that please? From the start of the year it looked like they all skipped skills last preseason and all went backwards!
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Fat Side wrote:Yep. Masten signed until the end of 2019. I hear he could be open to a trade to get more opportunity. The problem is finding a suitor. Yep, Giles has a chronic knee issue and may retire. I don't mind Wellingham and Emac for another year. LeCras really needs to consider his position - if its injury that has kept him quiet then fair enough (provided the prognosis is good) otherwise we probably shouldn't offer him another contract otherwise offer him another year. He may get a FA offer. We have Cripps, Rioli and Karpany and the latter two need development. McInnes has been given plenty of time to develop and I just can't see the point in retaining him. He should be absolutely dominating the WAFL and he isn't.

We currently have three senior vacancies (Priddis, Butler and Mitchell). If Giles and Hill go, that gives us five. We will have three rookie vacancies (Petrie, Tunbridge and McInnes). There is talk that Lamb may be offered a spot on the rookie list. If that happens we will have six senior and two rookie vacancies.

I wouldn't elevate anybody from the rookie list. Watson is the most likely type, but can stay on the rookie list for another year. I'm not sure where Snadden is at the moment as to whether he will be retained.

I think we should elevate Tom Gorter.

I hope we keep Lamb on the main list and make a commitment to play him in the midfield a lot next year at WAFL level and see where it leads. Make or break year, but still young with a huge tank and heaps of talent.

Agree with what you say about LeCras and assessing his injury's. If they are going to get better then play on but if not then stand down. Can he honestly self assess?
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 am

I hope we are not giving up Gaff for Hartung and Birchall? 4 year deals for both sounds silly.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 am

DALBY wrote:I hope we are not giving up Gaff for Hartung and Birchall? 4 year deals for both sounds silly.

What? I would very much hope we are not looking at doing this! Especially a 4 year deal for Birchall who will be 30 next year. Would we even have a spot for Birchall in our team? Isn't he a tall rebounding defender?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
DALBY wrote:I hope we are not giving up Gaff for Hartung and Birchall? 4 year deals for both sounds silly.

What? I would very much hope we are not looking at doing this! Especially a 4 year deal for Birchall who will be 30 next year. Would we even have a spot for Birchall in our team? Isn't he a tall rebounding defender?

Birchall was a great half back a few years ago, but yeah at 29 past his prime? He's exactly that mate, great runner, good disposal but injury prone of late.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:05 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

That would be madness. I said this on another thread and it applies to this...

"The last thing you want is a list full of mid tier, declining, 27-30 year olds on good coin and years to run on the 5 year deal they were recruited on."

NO, FUCK NO, and FUCK OFF.

Edit - where did this rumour come from?
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Daddyswing on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Thats a Hawthorn wet dream rather than a serious trade scenario.

0% chance of happening.
Say what you will about America, but 13 bucks still buys you a hell of a lot of mice!
Daddyswing
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 am

Tunbridge is the first to have a line put through his name.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 am

Pinion King wrote:Tunbridge is the first to have a line put through his name.

Someone who really had an injury kill a career - he was probably playing the best footy of his career when he went down (though I suspect he would have been fringe anyway).

Tried hard to make a career, and ended up with six years in AFL footy. Good luck to him
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby qrmewati on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am

Craig Vozo confirmed on 6PR that they will only make decisions on following players after the trade period, in the meantime they can look for opportunities.

Sharod Wellingham
Josh Hill
Tom Lamb

This means they are as good as gone.
This would make our list changes total to 10.
qrmewati
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am

I think they might re-draft Lamb as a rookie.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am

qrmewati wrote:This means they are as good as gone.

Actually, it says to me that we'll move them on if we can get useful draft picks for them, but it's not worth dumping them for picks at the arse end of the draft, and they'll likely get offered new one year deals if they don't move on in a trade.

For mine, Wellingham and Hill would both be more useful on the list than a fifth round pick that we would most likely have to give two years to before we just delist them anyway.

At the moment we have four draft picks (for Butler, Priddis, Giles and Mitchell). Any more off the main list, and we're talking picks in the fifth round and below, or elevated rookies - which we don't have a lot beating down the door for (the only "rookies" who played this year were Petrie and McInnes - Petrie has retired, and I can't see McInnes being re-elevated).
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 am

Mr Q wrote:
qrmewati wrote:This means they are as good as gone.

Actually, it says to me that we'll move them on if we can get useful draft picks for them, but it's not worth dumping them for picks at the arse end of the draft, and they'll likely get offered new one year deals if they don't move on in a trade.

For mine, Wellingham and Hill would both be more useful on the list than a fifth round pick that we would most likely have to give two years to before we just delist them anyway.

At the moment we have four draft picks (for Butler, Priddis, Giles and Mitchell). Any more off the main list, and we're talking picks in the fifth round and below, or elevated rookies - which we don't have a lot beating down the door for (the only "rookies" who played this year were Petrie and McInnes - Petrie has retired, and I can't see McInnes being re-elevated).

I thought word was Hill was retiring and had already lined up a deal with Subiaco?

But agree with you on both the meaning behind the clubs stance and the further delistings. Some times it is good to carry some deadwood on short contracts so that you have something to delist next year rather than an extra year of a player who is further behind.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Tunbridge really was injury cruelled. Could have been a solid contributor with a decent career though highly unlikely to have been a star. Need those sort of solid, reliable guys on the list, but for him it wasn't to be. Good luck to him with whatever he does.

With Wellingham, Hill and Lamb...
I really think Lamb could thrive with opportunity and the right environment. Would like to see him given a run as the third wing option. Gaff gets one side, Jetta plays wing/run off the back of the square, Lamb plays traditional wing.
Wellingham still has a bit to offer but will only be more and more a fringe player.
I can see Hill struggling to get close to a game. Le Cras has another year, Cripps is younger and ahead of him, Karpany should play a lot more in 2018, Rioli if fit should play, Fasolo may come in for our usual trade effort of two first round picks and a player and Partington will spend time between forward and mid. Unless we get another shit injury run he could slip to 4th small forward option at East Perth.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading