Sun, 25 Mar 2018 • 16:20 WST
West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Streaker on Sun May 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Well after that effort I guess we need to start looking at what our future holds.

Trade:

Duggan
Just don't see him as having any outstanding ability that makes him valuable enough to keep if the right offer comes along.

Retire:

Mitchell
Butler
Priddis
Petrie
LeCras
Giles

With Lycett and Naitanui back I don't see why we'd hang onto the 2 dinosaur rucks. Vardy and McInnes will be good enough as backups for me.
Mitchell and Priddis are just to slow and Butler doesn't have an impact.

Delist:
Where do we start

Josh Hill
Tunbridge
Masten
Wellingham
Redden
Karpany

You could make a case for the majority of these but the fact is we won't cut this deep.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby penrith eagle on Sun May 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I agree with trading Duggan he is crap and is not getting better

Mitchell can go around for one more season

Agree with Butler Petrie Giles retiring.......Lecras could be traded can still play in Perth but shit in Melb

Pridda fantastic servant could be his last year

Agree with Delisting Karpanny Tunbridge list cloggers who bring nothing to the club

Wellingham stays for me

Josh Hill Masten Redden trade
The will to win...we have lost it.......maybe its coming back ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Add jetta to that list
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Id also trade daring. Easily goes to ground, easily outbodird. Just an A grade show pony
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Duggan & Sheed have had a few games now at AFL level and to be honest I don't see anything in them suggesting they will be anything more than C to B grade players.

Maybe its because we have soft leaders like Priddis in the team that are limiting their development?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 am

:roll:
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby CMM on Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Streaker wrote:Well after that effort I guess we need to start looking at what our future holds.

Trade:

Duggan
Just don't see him as having any outstanding ability that makes him valuable enough to keep if the right offer comes along.

Retire:

Mitchell
Butler
Priddis
Petrie
LeCras
Giles

With Lycett and Naitanui back I don't see why we'd hang onto the 2 dinosaur rucks. Vardy and McInnes will be good enough as backups for me.
Mitchell and Priddis are just to slow and Butler doesn't have an impact.

Delist:
Where do we start

Josh Hill
Tunbridge
Masten
Wellingham
Redden
Karpany

You could make a case for the majority of these but the fact is we won't cut this deep.

You are aware the Duggan is only 20 years old and been in the system for 3 years? Seriously, trading him would be the most stupid possible move to make.
Last edited by CMM on Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Sponser of Chris Masten, Nic Naitanui and Jeremy McGovern
CMM
Rookie

Postby Streaker on Mon May 22, 2017 6:33 pm

CMM wrote:
Streaker wrote:Well after that effort I guess we need to start looking at what our future holds.

Trade:

Duggan

You are aware the Duggan is only 20 years old and been in the system for 3 years? Seriously, trading him would be the stupid possible move to make.

So what is it about him that makes him better than someone like Hutchings or Sheed? What are his standout features that make it so idiotic to trade him? Is it is speed? His goalkicking prowess? His ability to break open a game off of his own volition. His ability to shrug a tackle? To me he seems very vanilla.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coas ... wa3nh.html

But when Mitchell tried to get into the ear of Liam Duggan at half-time, the youngster seemed disinterested.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CMM on Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Streaker wrote:
CMM wrote:

Trade:

Duggan

You are aware the Duggan is only 20 years old and been in the system for 3 years? Seriously, trading him would be the stupid possible move to make.

So what is it about him that makes him better than someone like Hutchings or Sheed? What are his standout features that make it so idiotic to trade him? Is it is speed? His goalkicking prowess? His ability to break open a game off of his own volition. His ability to shrug a tackle? To me he seems very vanilla.

But when Mitchell tried to get into the ear of Liam Duggan at half-time, the youngster seemed disinterested.

You're really expecting someone to break a game apart at the age of 20? Only a player like Chris Jude could do that as a youngster, and he's one of the best midfielders the game has ever scene.

I think your expectations for him are way beyond what should be placed on a 3rd year player.
2017 Sponser of Chris Masten, Nic Naitanui and Jeremy McGovern
CMM
Rookie

Postby Streaker on Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 am

CMM wrote:
Streaker wrote:So what is it about him that makes him better than someone like Hutchings or Sheed? What are his standout features that make it so idiotic to trade him? Is it is speed? His goalkicking prowess? His ability to break open a game off of his own volition. His ability to shrug a tackle? To me he seems very vanilla.

You're really expecting someone to break a game apart at the age of 20? Only a player like Chris Jude could do that as a youngster, and he's one of the best midfielders the game has ever scene.

I think your expectations for him are way beyond what should be placed on a 3rd year player.

So no standout qualities. Confirmed vanilla.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am

CMM wrote:
Streaker wrote:
CMM wrote:

He is a bottom age player. He was drafted as a 17 year old and has injury struggles. He will be fine with time and experience.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Fat Side wrote:
CMM wrote:You're really expecting someone to break a game apart at the age of 20? Only a player like Chris Jude could do that as a youngster, and he's one of the best midfielders the game has ever scene.

He is a bottom age player. He was drafted as a 17 year old and has injury struggles. He will be fine with time and experience.

These two are right.
Bottom age, injuries. Also hard on Sheed.
It may be that neither becomes pure A Grade, but both have shown enough that they should be (at worst) pretty solid AFL players. We still need the pure A Grader or two and if we find them these two will be excellent alongside.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby gus3232 on Tue May 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Very difficult to make a call on just about any player until they get at least 50 games into the system. I can remember how bad some chump named Cox was early on and even the great man Gary Ablett Jnr was positively average and inconsistent in his first few years. The quick judgement and hysteria in this place borders on the insane at times. Patience people.
Oh noooo....the front door's exploded!!!
gus3232
Regular

Postby Bigbird on Tue May 23, 2017 4:31 pm

I think Sheed is one hell of a classy player. He is going to bring one hell of a lot to this side in years to come - maybe not as a top tier midfielder, but he will be important.

Duggan needs time and the right body - but I do agree with Streaker, in that I'm not sure what his stand out qualities are yet.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 pm

So far with Duggan we have the traders saying:
- He is average in most categories (foot speed, goal kicking, line breaking all been mentioned) and doesn't appear to be better than average at anything (vanilla)
- He hasn't shown anything to warrant constant selection
- Has apparently turned his nose at one of the modern day great midfielders and soon to be coach of ours Sam Mitchell

So far the keep him team has said:
- Dean Cox was shit at 20 aswell
- He's only 20
- Did you know, Liam of house Duggan has only just seen his 20th anniversary of his name day?

The problem with the Eagles is they are holding on to way too many players because of the "dean Cox was shit at 20" argument. Tunbridge for christ sakes. At best he is going to be a role player... AT BEST! For every "dean cox was shit at 20" success story there is many many many more failures. Just because we hit it rich once with that approach doesn't mean we should keep everyone we draft on the list for years upon years hoping they will take Cox's career path.

That's not to say I don't think Duggan could be a good player. He does look like quite the nuggetty type, but I just haven't seen him develop much since his debut season. If an offer came in for him I wouldn't be against us listening to the offer and yes we would probably get burnt in the end as I think he might be the type who thrives back in the motherland, but then it comes down to whether we hold on to him and continue to see him wilt and therefore get no value, or let him go, get something in return but also watch him develop into a good player. Tough decision (or hey maybe we keep him and he goes Dean Cox on us?) :lol:
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading