West Coast Greater Western Sydney
9.4 (58) 19.11 (125)
Game Focus

2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby moogadah on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Rumour on social media (and therefore probably bullsh*t) that McGovern looking to go to the dockers next year (apparently supported them growing up). Does anyone know how long he is contracted for?
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
moogadah
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:23 pm

moogadah wrote:Rumour on social media (and therefore probably bullsh*t) that McGovern looking to go to the dockers next year (apparently supported them growing up). Does anyone know how long he is contracted for?

He's out of contract, long been known and talked about. His Dad played 63 games for for Freo; foundation player.

Both Talking Footy and Footy Classified talked about his contract last night. Apparently the Crows are offering him about 300000 a year for three years and Freo are offering 750000 for five years. No-brainer eh? Eagles are interested but what we are prepared to offer is not known. At Adelaide he gets the third best defender and would at the Eagles while at Freo he would be the number one; which he is probably not.

Follow with interest.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
moogadah wrote:Rumour on social media (and therefore probably bullsh*t) that McGovern looking to go to the dockers next year (apparently supported them growing up). Does anyone know how long he is contracted for?

He's out of contract, long been known and talked about. His Dad played 63 games for for Freo; foundation player.

Both Talking Footy and Footy Classified talked about his contract last night. Apparently the Crows are offering him about 300000 a year for three years and Freo are offering 750000 for five years. No-brainer eh? Eagles are interested but what we are prepared to offer is not known. At Adelaide he gets the third best defender and would at the Eagles while at Freo he would be the number one; which he is probably not.

Follow with interest.

We need midfield depth and top end talent if we can. I don't see the point in giving up top end picks for a forward that is not a key position player (McGovern is 191cm). We should retain our first pick unless we get an offer we can't refuse.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby moogadah on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:

Follow with interest.

We need midfield depth and top end talent if we can. I don't see the point in giving up top end picks for a forward that is not a key position player (McGovern is 191cm). We should retain our first pick unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Sorry, I should have been clearer; the rumour is that Jeremy McGovern is looking to join his brother Mitchell at the Dockers in 2018, hence my query around the length of Jeremy's contract.
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
moogadah
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:41 pm

moogadah wrote:Sorry, I should have been clearer; the rumour is that Jeremy McGovern is looking to join his brother Mitchell at the Dockers in 2018, hence my query around the length of Jeremy's contract.

I very very much doubt this. But I would want nothing less than a top 10 pick and a reasonable player for Jeremy.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
moogadah wrote:Sorry, I should have been clearer; the rumour is that Jeremy McGovern is looking to join his brother Mitchell at the Dockers in 2018, hence my query around the length of Jeremy's contract.

I very very much doubt this. But I would want nothing less than a top 10 pick and a reasonable player for Jeremy.

I dunno about it seeming too far-fetched. He would have mostly likely supported Freo as a kid with his dad playing there an if Freo lure Mitch it would have an even larger draw for him. Plus Freo is probably looking a little more promising at the moment as they are exposing their youth and showing some talent around the place, whereas at the Eagles it is seeming each week their is less to be enthusiastic about the club.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:58 pm

I just cant see it personally. Unless he is really disenchanted with the playing group and wants out?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:

He's contracted for 2018. The Dockers don't have enough players or draft picks to trade both players in.
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Mykidsdad on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:57 am

Didn't his Dad play for Sydney too?
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:02 pm

He did, yes.

I can't see for the life of me how Freo would find a way to satisfy these purported trades without giving away the kitchen sink.

I can't imagine that if Freo came knocking Eagles's baseline for such a trade would be Freo's first rounder and someone like Neale or Walters (it might be different if the Eagles were the ones initiating the trade)
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Mr Q wrote:He did, yes.

I can't see for the life of me how Freo would find a way to satisfy these purported trades without giving away the kitchen sink.

I can't imagine that if Freo came knocking Eagles's baseline for such a trade would be Freo's first rounder and someone like Neale or Walters (it might be different if the Eagles were the ones initiating the trade)
I was thinking along the lines of this year's first rounder and next years years second rounder with an uptrade of picks this year (we get their second rounder for our third). With a big list turnover picks have more currency than normal.

Don't want it to happen though.
2017 sponsor of #5 - Brad (Mr Reliable) Sheppard. 25yo, 100+ games and counting.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot (how good could he be) Yeo. Only 23 and looking to hit 100 career games in 2017.
2017 sponsor of #23 - Lewis (we need this excitement) Jetta. 27yo and heading for 150 career games.
2017 sponsor of #30 - Jackson (he's too good to be only 21) Nelson. 21yo, pick #51 in 2014, a bonus pickup.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

He's contracted for 2018. The Dockers don't have enough players or draft picks to trade both players in.

He is a restricted free agent at the end of 2018? He will bolt then so maybe we are better doing a deal with Freo this coming trade period.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:26 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

He is a restricted free agent at the end of 2018? He will bolt then so maybe we are better doing a deal with Freo this coming trade period.

If the rumours are true it would be sensible to at least investigate what Freo would be willing to offer to get him this year. Would think he would be around the end of first/second round mark as far as compo goes. Would also be an important list management moment for the team as we wouldnt want to move on E-mac/Schoey if Gov is leaving the year after.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby aquila audax on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:59 pm

To lose players we have developed to interstate clubs is bad enough ( a la , Judd , Ebert and Selwood ) , but to lose McGovern to the Dockers would be diabolical .
I hope I never get to see it happen .
aquila audax
Regular

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:58 pm

aquila audax wrote:
To lose players we have developed to interstate clubs is bad enough ( a la , Judd , Ebert and Selwood ) , but to lose McGovern to the Dockers would be diabolical .
I hope I never get to see it happen .

I have no issue losing players to freo, The issue occurs if they win a flag. But that is the same as any other player we trade to someone.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading